June 5, 2014

The Journey



Well guys, it's been two years since my last entry. You could say I'm a pretty awful blogger ;) Besides the little snippets I share on Instagram and Facebook, I'm pretty quiet about my personal life on social media. I guess that's both intentional and not, but tonight I felt the need to share a little more. I want to share a bit about the incredible journey I've had so far in my 26 years.

First off, let me apologize if you see Papyrus headers on this page. They're definitely not supposed to be there. I wouldn't use the font Papyrus in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 years. (I don't even know how many that is, but even then!) My headers used to be a really lovely font, but I think my typekit subscription probably expired in the two years that I've been absent.

Ok. Now for the good stuff:



I want to catch you up on my story, if you're not familiar. Around this time four years ago, I was feeling the need for a change. I had recently graduated from art school and was living in Minneapolis. I often felt pulled to Asheville, North Carolina although I had never been. Heck, I didn't even know anyone who had been. I just felt a magnetism. I decided to take a huge leap of faith and GO. I packed up my car with all my possessions (watercolors, sundresses - you know, all the important things) & moved to the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains.



I decided to try my luck in a great big cabin in the country, sight-unseen. The entire upper floor was mine - equipped with a claw foot bathtub, cathedral ceilings, and my own private balcony that overlooked a meadow & the misty mountains. At night, the breeze would dance through the windows and sounds of frogs, bugs, and other nighttime critters lulled me to sleep. This was around the time my Etsy shop started to boom and way before I even thought of hiring an assistant. I filled oodles of orders from my bed.



This fairytale, out-of-a-dream house was built and inhabited by Leah, a kindred spirit who I now see as one of my guardian angels. I remember when I first stumbled out of my car at the house on the hill - it was magic hour and the sun turned everything into gold. Leah could tell I was exhausted from my 17 hours on the road & handed me a glass of white wine. She then showed me my room. For the next few months I literally thought I was in a dream.



Living in the basement of the house was the bright and sunny Pamela who taught me a great deal about loving the planet and all the critizens that inhabit it. She took in many-a-stray critters to rehabilitate them or find them new homes. She is a beam of light and anyone who encounters her is lucky indeed. Loveeta lived next door on the hill and offered a wealth of knowledge when it came to baking, sewing, gardening, and so many other things. I remember picking blackberries with her near the horse pasture and being inspired by all her crafty endeavors. For the next 2 years of living in North Carolina, I grew as an artist and woman, uncovering my authenticity and finding my true voice. Being around these strong, creative women really pushed me to dive into life and follow my dreams.



One day in September (I think), Pamela found a stray kitten behind her studio in nearby Weaverville. She scooped him up and tried to find his owners by putting up posters around town. “Why don’t you just keep him in your room until we find who he belongs to?” She suggested to me. Though I knew exactly what she was up to! My intention of moving to North Carolina was to feel “free” and untethered… as much as I absolutely loved cats, I didn’t think I was ready to take on the responsibility of caring for another living being. Days went by and there were no signs that this kitten ever had a home. I became more and more attached to this little feline until one day he told me his name. It was Basil! I can’t even begin to describe the amount of joy Basil, an unexpected gift, has brought me throughout the years. My life wouldn’t be the same without him.



Today I find myself in a similar position, four years later. I’ve taken many big leaps (some scary ones) since moving from North Carolina. Leaps in business, relationships, and most recently, the leap into motherhood. I remember the day I left. I was a blubbering mess and my heart was heavy. Something, however, guided me to the Pacific Northwest. It was in Oregon that I first met Melanie, my full-time Etsy shop maven. I couldn't ask for a better assistant! She is positive, cheerful, hard-working, and loves cats ALMOST as much as me. (haha, if you're reading this Melanie!) Not long after moving to Oregon, Basil told me that he needed a companion. Clementine became part of our family.



It was also in Oregon that I met Eli, an unexpected blessing who is now my fiancee and father of my baby-on-the-way. We met at my dear friend Sarah McMurray's art party during one of the most transformative summers of my life. That summer, I made more friends than I could have ever imagined... I'm usually quite introverted, so this was a surprise. A few of us took a roadtrip to Big Sur, CA to see Beach House perform at the Henry Miller Library. We explored the Redwoods. We jumped off of cliffs and into water. We had stargazing parties. We slept on rooftops. We had house shows. We swam in lakes and camped in the forest. We just were, and it was so beautiful.



image on left by Joy Prouty


And it still is so beautiful. Even more so. Fast forward a year to October 2013, the month I found out I was pregnant. Eli and I were so happy to learn of this blessing. Wow how things can progress in such a short time. Upon learning of the news, we decided to leave our lovely Bend loft and move to a magical cabin in the woods. I have a studio right next to a rushing river and now, with the warm weather, everything is starting to turn green.





Being pregnant has been an amazing journey into the unknown. To be honest though, I've been in such an emotional haze. This is uncharted territory for me and I don't think any type of planning can truly prepare someone for what's to come. I've read so many books on pregnancy and labor, taken a prenatal yoga class, talked to oodles of moms, read countless baby blogs, and listened to so many Ina May Gaskin talks that I feel like I could make The Business of Being Born pt. 2 (just kidding of course!) As much as I love filling my brain with knowledge and information about this very important subject, there is something deep within me telling me to just be still. To gather my own strength and listen to my intuition. Women have been birthing for eons. I keep wondering why this completely natural process has become so fear-based. I do have some apprehension of what's to come, but I'm learning to transform that anxiousness into strength and power.




I can't even tell you how excited I am to meet our baby in a few weeks. I had a dream that I saw him as an infant and then through every stage of his life - all the way into adulthood. He had long curly brown hair, brown eyes, and a dimple on each cheek. He was (and is) beautiful. Intuitively, I know there will be challenges in parenting that I can't even imagine right now. I also know there will be moments of sheer joy and depths of love I have not yet been to. Eli and I are so ready to shower our baby with love and see the world through his new eyes.




So here's a warm thank you to my friends, family, and even those of you I've never actually "met." Your encouragement and support has propelled me into places I once only dreamed of. I am so happy to be alive and experience heaps of beauty, love, and wonder on a daily basis.

With gratitude and so much love,
Katie Daisy

39 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Katie. It's such a treasure to read your story. You are an incredible soul spreadig such beauty in the world. I am deeply grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Katie my name is Emma. Thanks for sharing your lovely story, your cabin life is beautiful beyond words. As a mother of 5 young children I wish you well with your birth and life changing moment. You are feeling just as I did before I had my first little girl who is now almost 12. I read up like you, couldn't get enough information but when it came to the wonderful moment I approached it my way with my man by my side and it was so awesome we did it another four times! Love, love, love being a mum and also only just now becoming an artist like you. Take care, Emma x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ashville! Such a wonderful art community! Thank you for sharing! The photos of your home is beautiful. Congratulations on the baby. Will you start producing some children's artwork? I would love to hear the stories of how you got involved with the business side of art. I want to hear the process on your success. Keep blogging you write beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journey so far is a beauitful adventure,such beauitful places and people.im sure your new chapter of your journey will be just as beauitful with your precious baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure when I subscribed to your blog but I must have forgotten about it in the 2 years you've been gone and then here you are again, your feed popping up. Congratulations on your upcoming baby! I'm expecting one in September.

    Now to get reacquainted with your blog and art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, wonderful blog post and story. I rarely comment on blogs but wanted to tell you how inspiring it is to read your story. I try to fill my brain with the stories of other artists and am so happy I've discovered your art. I'm an introvert and artist, as well, and basically put my art "on hold" to have my babies. I don't regret that at all, of course. It was what I needed to do at the time but I'm slowing getting back into the artistic community and what a wonderful place it is. Motherhood will change you and seeing life through their eyes is simply magic. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, what a lovely tribute to those whom you've met along the way who have inspired & encouraged you. And it's such an honest and lovely story. You intuition has lead you exactly where you are meant to be because you listened. It will be the same when your precious boy comes. And it will be the greatest and most powerful love you've ever known! You are very blessed, Katie, in many ways. You're going to be an amazing and inspiring mother. What a lucky little guy! I can't wait to see all the adventures you'll go on together❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, if ever you get back this way to WNC for a visit, I would love for you and your little family to come out to my little log cabin in the woods - a home that is called Heartrock Hill.
    I can't imagine how proud your own mama must be of you!!! I'm a boy mama, with two sons ages 26 and 28. I hope one day that they will be following in your footsteps, expecting to bring a little one or two into this crazy, beautiful world.
    You've been an enormous inspiration to me, and I'm grateful that Instagram led me to your door. blessings and love to you and Eli for this beautiful journey that lies just ahead for both of you xox Nina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you do Katie...you've been a part of my life for a few years now! Your art has blessed our home...my daughters HAD to have your beautiful calendars! Being a Mom has been the best thing that ever could have happened to me...you will be a sweet Mama. Thank you for sharing your story...can't wait to see this amazing child of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not even sure how I came upon your story. It brought tears to my eyes because I am now in such a rut and want to dive into the unknown but am stuck......wish me luck and thank you for your wonderful inspiration. And congratulations on your pregnancy and cheers to the wonderful years ahead as a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I nearly fell out of my chair when your post appeared in my blog feed! So excited to have you back and hope you will continue to share pieces (and gorgeous photos!) of your story. You have been a huge inspiration to me as an artist, entrepreneur, and now as a mommy-to-be. So thrilled for your new adventure, thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post...so beautiful. I wish nothing but awesomeness for your soon-to-be baby and your family. And now for my fangirl moment here...I randomly came across your paintings through a set of cards that I fell in love with. They were one of the first things I did up for my daughter's nursery before she was born, all spread out in different painted colored frames on her wall. I even took a try at recreating one to make a large poster sized one. (It kinda worked, haha.) And when I go places (especially like Barnes and Noble) I get SO excited when I see one of your paintings made into a product. I can tell just by looking at it..."That's a Katie Daisy!" I might be a tad obsessed. They just hit a chord in me and I find myself rooting for you so you'll make more and more paintings. I just think your paintings are so beautiful and I love the quotes you choose. Congratulations on motherhood. I am happy for your new adventure and wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congratulations, Katie! you will be a beautiful mama, your little one is blessed! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Katie! You are a wonderful individual. I wish you and your beautiful family the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulation to you! It's so funny....I am from Seattle and have always dreamed of living in North Carolina, and specifically Asheville but I've never taken the leap. I wish you well on your new adventures! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katie my dear, I am so glad you're listening to that part of you that said just be still. Savouring this time is part of what will feed your soul as you go through one of the most life changing experiences ever. And you're right, nothing can really prepare you for it and so just riding the wave, embracing the fullness of wonder (and sleep deprivation) is really all you can do.

    Thank you so very much for sharing your life journey of the past few years. What a joy to know more about you and your family. I especially love your two-headed cat (wink, wink.) Blessing to you and Eli and your son. Looking forward to meeting him, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you & your world are amazing & so very inspiring ! I hope this will be the first of many more blog posts as you venture into this new role as a new Mama. I have loved your work & your caring voice for years. Sending loads of love from another cat lady in far away Nova Scotia xoxo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowee! You have such a beautiful story and live in such beautiful surroundings! It is so so refreshing to her someone love where they live and to hear that someone appriciates all of the little things in their life. I loved reading so much, I was enchanted by your lovely words and soft writing voice just as much as I am with your art. Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you had a dream about your son. That is the sweetest thing. I remember when I had a dream about my second daughter right before she was born. I knew I was ready for her at that point. Your heart, body, and soul is ready for this girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful journey you have been on in your life. Thank you for sharing it here on your blog. Many blessings to you and your new little one and your new family to be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. dearest katie i just loved reading this and getting to know you more and your journey. it all is so magical and you truly are an inspiration. what you've created is pure magic. you will be a wonderful mother. excited to see the inspiration and love continue to grow and flow from you. so glad to have you as an artist friend all these years. watching you grow has been so great i feel like a cheerleader of yours sometimes. much love, rachel

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad to see your post again in my feed and to see it be such a joy filled one made me so happy!
    (we tend to imagine the worst out her in blog land when we don't hear anything for a long while) Wishing you a beautiful birth experience. No matter what happens, at the end is a sweet baby to love which makes everything so worth it! Blessings dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was such a wonderfully thoughtful, moving post. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Sending you such warmth and love as you embrace your new adventure into motherhood. Cheery Smiles your way…Laura
    p.s. I loved seeing all the gorgeous photographs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Find best Home based Business without any work, just invest and rest with your profit
    EarningsClub.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome to the sacred, exhilarating, insane world of motherhood! Having read the story of your creative journey, I so can relate to those magical "calls" that lead us to the place we are meant to be. Trusting your instincts has gotten you this far. I think you will be just fine with this baby thing. Nice to put a real person behind all of your inspiring illustrations. Looking forward to hearing about the next chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Online Corner is the best Platform to earn money online from internet, Just Join Now and start earnings
    OnlineCornerz.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Get your website on google top 10 Results, Best Search Engine Optimization Company in Pakistan
    Contact Now
    Skype : Jobz.Corner
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Business at home...??? want to join the best business without any work, just invest and rest
    www.earningsclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on all your success! Wishing you a beautiful future!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What wonderful news! Wishing you all the best with your new family :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Get Facebook Likes on your fb page, likes on your facebook pictures, followers on your facebook id, shares of your facebook posts, every thing is available here, visit for more details
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Online Jobs, Just Post a Comment on any blog site and earn $0.06 per Link, Just Like this post, Visit and Click on Link Relation
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Find Best online home based jobs, data entry, copy pasting, facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Best Business Club of Earnings, Hourly Stable Plans Like 1% Hourly for 120 Hours, Total 120% Profit within 5 Days
    EarningsClub.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Play Games and Earn Money online from home, best add clicking website in the world
    PaidVerts.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Earning is only for you, just spend 1 hour daily and earn upto $35 Daily with just clicking job, Join Now
    adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete